In the Dutch Sims Community there are many fans who love The Sims and express that in their own unique way. They make stories with the game, machinima’s (videos made with the game), they spend a lot time on different forums and some of them even have a website about it. And this are just a few things fans do with their game!
This diversity within the Dutch Community makes us want to put some of those fans in the spotlights. In this 13th interview we’ve got an Canadian fan, Berry from the Rainbowcy Legacies. This is the first time ever we don’t have a Dutch fan, but someone from outside the Netherlands.
As many of you have noticed, there’s a new hype in the community conserning making stories with The Sims. Besides the ordinary Legacy, there’s a new increasingly variant.
We, the Sims fans, call this a Rainbow Legacy or an easier way to call it; Rainbowcy. Now we see you think, Rainbowcy? What is that? ‘Rainbow’ explains it a little bit already, the legacy is all about colours; different colored Sims, houses, community lots, everything that’s customizable. The colored Sims are called Berry’s. Who made this up? And why is it such a hype? The answers on most of these questions can be found in this interview, with the biggest Rainbowcy-writer at this momen: Berry.
- Hi Berry, to introduce you to our readers could you tell a little bit about who you are, what you do in daily life?
- Hello! As you may know my name is Berry and I have been a Simmer since The Sims 1, that started back in 2001. I wasn’t quite as hooked or addicted back then, but man did I love it. I find myself with a ridiculous amount of free time due to my real life job as a yoga instructor. I teach a few hours a week and that leaves me with a lot of free time. So I spend quite a bit of that time in the Sims world. Creating and painting my own little world of fantasy.
- How did the idea to start a the legend ‘Rainbowcy’ came to you?
- I discovered it via a few other people on a forum. A newer type of legacy challenge, and from the moment I was introduced, I knew it was perfect for Berry Sweet Sims. So when I decided to give them a try, I decided to make the colors pastel, because all the ones I had seen were bright, very bright. A bit too bright for the eyes! And that is how that happened. Gosh I wish it had been my idea, but it wasn’t.
- The colored Sims in the rainbowcy’s called Berry’s, how did you came up with that name? (De gekleurde Sims uit de Rainbowcy’s heten Berry’s, hoe ben je op die naam gekomen?)
- Berry sweets got their start from my modeling competition. I wanted to start a competition that was different and totally unique, so I decided to take two things I love, Sweets and Colors to make a fun and interesting new way to compete. I had no idea it would go over so well. The Berry part of the name came from my name berrypie27 and the sweet part, well that comes from me and something I have always been accused of being. Not that it is a bad thing!
- The colored Sims in the rainbowcy’s called Berry’s, how did you come up with that name?
- Berry Sweets got their start from my modeling competition. I wanted to start a competition that was different and totally unique, so I decided to take two things I love, Sweets and Colors to make a fun and interesting new way to compete. I had no idea it would go so well. The Berry part of the name came from my nickname berrypie27 and the sweet part, well that comes from me and something I have always been accused of being. Not that it is a bad thing!
- How many variants you can make of a Rainbowcy? (In the color pallet, you have a pastel Rainbowcy, but are there other rainbowcy’s.)
- The possibilities are endless. You can start with any color and you can end with any color. You can have any sort of color scheme; neon, pastel, etc. A lot of people start with white but you don’t have to, any color will work. I did a more traditional color line by following an actual rainbow, but there is no rule that you have to.
- Did you ever expect the Rainbowcy legacy would become so popular?
- Never! I never imagined what has happened. I started it, thinking I would be able to share my story with a few people, hoping that they would like it. Now, I can hardly believe where we have gotten. It’s truly amazing and I feel so incredibly honored to have so many readers.
- Which Rainbowcy, from all the rainbowcy’s, is your favorite at the moment?
- Oh wow, that is a real tough one. I have quite a few that would be in my top list. I would prefer not to single anyone out, or hurt someone else’s feelings by not mentioning them though, so I think I will keep them to myself.
- Can you tell us something about Sugar Valley and where to get is? (Like: Why you made sugar valley for berry’s, and how you came up with the name of the town.)
- Ah Sugar Valley was a group effort, SunsetValley from the Sims 3 forum came to me with the idea and asked my permission to go ahead with the idea. Of course I was more than ecstatic to help build a Berry town. Though the name was mine, I pushed it and pushed it till they finally caved, and they used it. Sadly it was never completed, but we do have a test version that I have made readily available to the community. Sugar Valley is not an actual world. It is a save that you install into your saves folder.
- Could you tell us something about your own forum? (the Berrysweet forum)
- There isn’t much to tell, it is just a little place for Berry Simmers to get together and share their stories and ideas with other Berry Simmers. Though there are some amazing stories happening over there!
- Your own Rainbowcy is almost over, are you planning to start a new Rainbowcy, or do you have a brand new idea?
- I have some big plan after Splash, but I cannot talk about them just yet. Although, I think most people will be very excited.
Machinimas are definitely my first love. It is really where all my storytelling began. I saw a few sims 2 videos and thought “Wow I so wanna do that, but have no idea how.”. So I decided to look up some information on how they work and what I needed and I started right away. What inspires me? Music. When music tells a story I can see it. Machinima will always be one of my favorites.
- And at the last question: Do you have anything to say to our readers?
- Write from your heart. Do what you want to do and don’t let others try to change you. You have to follow your own path and never give up on your dreams!
Because of Berry her succes, the Rainbowcy hype has gone all over the world, and not just on the official The Sims 3 site, but even on our own forum too! A few members got a Rainbowcy, those you can find on our forum of course. But in order to save the search, you can find a few Rainbowcies from our forums below.
American / English Rainbowcy’s
We really want to thank Berry for this interivew! The next time it will be someone from the Dutch Community again. Who that will be? We don’t know that yet. But you should keep checking Sims Nieuws to find that out!